Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Sourdough Starter

Well, I think the starter is okay. I made some bread today, and it turned out okay. Yea!! I hope that is the last problem I have with that silly starter. So if anyone has good recipes for sourdough bread, I am willing to try them.

We had fun visiting with Uncle David and Aunt Linda today. They were driving through and stopped to eat with us. Brenna was even good through lunch. She has had a hard time sitting through meals recently. She loved meeting my Aunt and Uncle. We think she was calling Uncle David "Paw-Paw" for some reason. I just wonder what goes inside that head of hers sometimes.

We have had some rain today from Hurricane Dolly. I had forgotten about hurricanes since I have been in Georgia. It was strange to be watching to find out what the storm was going to do today. We weren't sure how it would affect us. It hasn't really done anything bad. There hasn't even been more wind, and we still really need the rain. I hope we keep getting the rain as the week passes.

Apparently I don't have anything exciting to say today, and I don't have any pictures to post. I'm just not good for much today.

Oh, I guess I can post that sourdough starter recipe for Keith. That does seem appropriate with the title I picked. It is a Better Homes and Gardens recipe.

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast or bread machine yeast
3/4 cup warm water
3 cups warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons granulated sugar or brown sugar

1. Dissolve the yeast in the 3/4 cup warm water. Add the 3 cups warm water; stir in flour and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on med speed until smooth.

2. Cover with 100 percent cotton cheesecloth. Let stand at room temp for 5-10 days or until mixture has a sour, fermented aroma, stirring 2-3 times every day. When the mixture has fermented, transfer to a 2 quart or larger plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate the starter until needed.

3. To use starter: Remove starter from frig and stir thoroughly. Measure the amount needed and bring it to room temp.

4. For each cup of starter used, replenish with 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup water, and 1 teaspoon granulated or brown sugar. Cover and let stand at room temp for at least 1 day until bubbly. Refrigerate starter for later use.

5. If hasn't been used in 10 days, stir in 1 teaspoon granulated or brown sugar. Repeat every 10 days unless starter is used.

No comments: