Thursday, July 24, 2008

Is there such a thing as healthy cookies?

Yes, and I found them! Well, I don't know how healthy they really are, but they sound mostly healthy to me. I have been trying to stay away from sugar lately to see if that would help with my headaches. I was very unsuccessful in Georgia, and have not really started off very well since we came back. (Yesterday I had half a slice of chocolate cake. Thanks Aunt Emily, it was wonderful.) Today I made a batch of these cookies, and I already ate one. I see another cookie in my future too. They only had 3/4 a cup of brown sugar, and brown sugar is better than white sugar, right? Come on, someone validate me here.

Actually I found the recipe while we were in Georgia and couldn't wait to make the cookies when we got home. I was looking for something to buy for breakfast when we were staying in Athens and saw some Old Country Style Muesli. I was instantly transported to another time. Stacey and I were in Ireland riding across some of God's most beautiful country. Man, I loved that trip. I loved waking up everyday knowing that all I had to do for the day was ride a horse and spend time with one of my best friends ever. It was a great vacation. Sorry, I digress. One of the things they served us was Muesli and yogurt for breakfast. I loved it but couldn't ever find it here in the states. Eventually I forgot to look. Lo and behold, 10 years later, I found some. It was every bit as delicious as I remember. If only I could still ride a horse all day too.

Anyways there was a recipe on the bag. I made the wonderful little bits of sweetness. Nathan claims he will stick to the good old faithful chocolate chip cookies, but I think these are my new favorites.

Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies

1 cup Bob's Red Mill Muesli (I'm sure you can use other kinds, but that is what I bought.)
3/4 cup sifted Whole Wheat Flour (See, so far they are very healthy)
2/3 cup Applesauce (still good)
3/4 cup brown sugar (First bit of sweetness, but hey they are cookies after all.)
6 oz (1 cup) Chocolate Chips (See, they are cookies.)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda and salt together (I just mixed them.) and set aside. Blend applesauce, sugar and vanilla together. Beat in egg. Add flour mixture and mix. Sir in Muesli and chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Unbaked cookies. By the way, these are so easy that Brenna even helped.


Baked cookies cooling. Don't you just want one too?


"Mmm," says Brenna. (Notice the small cut on her eyelid. That is where she hurt herself at Nonni and G-daddy's house. Would you believe that the stroller fell on her today and hit the same spot. My poor little munchkin. She deserved a cookie.)


"I think I'll have another bite of this delicious sweetness."


See, now everyone should go out and bake a batch to experience this wonderful creation of a cookie.

2 comments:

Krischa said...

Sounds good! Maybe you could make a batch and mail them to me. That way I could enjoy them without the work!!! Ha ha!Do you like Fig nutons(sp?)? They are really pretty good and they have more flavors than just the original.

Amy said...

Testing... Mmmm. I plan on trying them in my oven. If I can find Muesli in my small town.