Friday, May 30, 2008

The Swarm

I realized that I have been writing a lot about Brenna. I would like to say that I have my own life apart from Brenna, but who am I kidding. Brenna and I do just about everything together. (Unfortunately that includes bathroom time most of the time.)

Today we went to ride Pretty Boy. I was lucky enough to be able to go get Pretty Boy without Brenna on my back. (See the last other post about riding Pretty Boy.) Anyway, Brenna was happily playing with Seth. I had two buckets of food and a halter in hand as I journeyed to the pasture. Pretty Boy came for his food but ran off quickly when he realized I had the halter. Luckily I closed the round pen gate this time.

Just as I got both of us in the round pen and the gate closed, I heard a loud sound that shot fear through my body. As I looked to see what I was hearing and where it was. I watched a huge black cloud come towards me and realized why my limbs were shaking in fear. It was a swarm of bees surrounding me and Pretty Boy. I had to keep a lot of self talk going on in my head to stay still and on my feet. Those of you who know me, know how hard that was for me. There just aren't many things I fear more than bees (that includes wasps, yellow jacket, and pretty much anything that says "buzz"). Speaking of sounds, their buzzing was so loud, I thought I was in a hive. Amazingly I was able to remember Stacey talking about swarming bees. I remember she told me that they are actually very scared then. All they want is to find a new home. They probably didn't even realize that Pretty Boy and I were there. Then as soon I was in the middle of the black cloud, I was watching that same cloud fly off above another tree.

It was an experience I would prefer to not repeat, but I am proud of how well I lived through the hive.

No comments: