Saturday, May 31, 2008

Books, Books Everywhere

Those of you who know us well know that we are a family of readers. Nathan can plow through a book in a day or less. I am a bit slower, but I tackle my books quickly too. We both love to read, and we have instilled that into Brenna so far. She brings books to us all the time saying, "Read it?" ( She is slowly catching on that she needs to add "Please" to the end too.) We have joked that books are the one toy she consistently doesn't want to share. When we were living with them, Aaron even when as far to say she wanted Tanner to be illiterate because she never wanted to share Tanner's books with him.

Every parent will tell you that when you hear silence, the children are up to something. Tonight, Nathan and I were talking in the kitchen after dinner and I noticed that Brenna was being very quiet, so I thought I should check things out. I quietly came into the living room only to find every book from the bottom shelf of the bookcase pulled out and piled beside her. She had positioned her chair next to the books so she could read one book after another to herself. I quietly listened to her "read" word after word to her favorite books. Amazingly she remembers a lot of words from each story.



I had to capture the moment, but it was over as soon as she saw the camera. "Cheese!"

1 comment:

kjonz29 said...

It's multi-generational...I don't remember not being able to read. --G-Daddy