Thursday, January 31, 2008

The things I apparantly don't know

Apparantly the walls to our house are very thin and poorly insulated. This was a huge discovery at 4am this morning. I was awakened abruptly at that time out of a peaceful sleep by the cries of two cats, the barking of Annie, and the low growl of Westin. The bed was alive with sudden activity. Nathan even woke up which means it must have sounded like a train coming through the house. In his grogginess I told him to go throw some water on the cats. Although as soon as he left I felt bad for them because it was so cold outside. My slight misgivings were not large enough to retract my statement. He came back shortly with the conclusion that they had already left. Annie was still going crazy shaking and barking and despretly trying to scratch her way through the wall under our bed. I didn't think they had really left. Sure enough, the cat fight commensed a few minutes later. Have you ever heard one? That is truly the worst way to wake up out of a nice sleep.

So here we are at 4:10am, both animals on guard, Kayla wide awake, and Nathan ready to go back to sleep dispite all the noise and bed quaking. I tell Nathan I think he needs to go back outside. Instead, in a mad rush he scoops Annie up (she is the one causing most of the trouble) and heads to the back door saying, "I have a better solution." Luckily before he even got around our bed, I began to smell the "oh so distintive" skunk smell. Then there was silence. I guess our black and white friend took care of the problem. I just hope he hasn't decided to take up residence in the yard behind our wall. I was afraid that the whole house would stink by morning, but the smell has seemed to disapate.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep much after that. I was wide awake and couldn't go back to sleep until 6am. Nathan had no trouble going back to dream land. Oh to be a good sleeper again. Then at 6:10am the first alarm went off. At 6:30 the second, and at 7:20 I shook Nathan awake saying, "Shouldn't you already be up." So that was my adventurous night. Apparantly I needed a little adventure in my life.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I don't feel this blog post portrays me in an accurate light! I went out to where I thought the noise was coming from (in the 50 degree rain, no less) and saw nothing, and heard nothing! The only reason I fell back asleep was I was functioning at that point on 2 hours of sleep and knew I was going to get up in another 2! Ah, the adventures of country living!

Krischa said...

I understand your sleep trouble since we've been in apartments. The last one was a nightmare with noise, this one hasn't been that bad. Just think though that not every night will be like that one and if it was you know that after having a kid you can go for months on little to no sleep!!!!