Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween (sort of)





Brenna and I went to Houston this past weekend. I went to the Quilt Show with Mom and Aunt Peggy. We had a great time and saw all sorts of wonderful things and projects to buy. We had to restrain ourselves somewhat, but it was fun to just look too. Anyways, the quilt show was actually on Halloween and we didn't get back until later in the evening. I wasn't really sure I wanted Brenna to "trick or treat" yet either. She doesn't need the candy, and I don't think she would really know what she was doing, but I didn't want to deprive her of the fun of dressing up. Mom came up with the brilliant idea of having a fall festival at her house. It was a huge hit. Brenna is still talking about her prizes. I am always amazed at how creative Mom can be and that some things don't have to be big to be a big hit with a toddler.

Anyways, here are some of the things we did. Let me just say for the record, if I use the word "we" in the next few sentences, I am using it very loosely. Mom did most of the work.

First Mom and Brenna bobbed for apples (Two year old, modified style).



Next Mom brought out a pot filled with water and carrots. (I'm not sure what this had to do with Halloween, but Brenna loved it anyway.) Brenna had to fish out the carrots with a strainer. She did this one several times. When she got all the carrots out on her table, she lined them up and then plopped them back in the water.


Mom hid some of the prizes for Brenna to find and then we set up an obstacle course for her to go through.

Somewhere in there, Brenna also bowled with a beach ball and some blocks.


For each game she played, Mom let her pick out a prize and put it in a bag. Brenna really loved that part. She has also enjoyed the treats Mom bought for her. I thought crackers and snack foods in little bags would be better than candy. Brenna didn't seem to mind.


I think everyone enjoyed the evening. It may have been a little different, but it was perfect for Brenna at two and a half. She went to bed tired and happy. In my books, that is called a good day.

1 comment:

Mary Jessica said...

What a clever and lovely idea! And I love her costume - so cute!