Thursday, November 6, 2008

Return of the Killer Ant

I believe I mentioned my critter bite last week. I wasn't positive what bit or stung me, but I thought it was a giant ant I saw crawling out of the dirt around the flower I was transplanting. Anyways, it was one of the worse, most painful insect bites I have ever felt. It actually hurt the next morning then it itched for days later. I never saw a mark.

Today after a very different morning walk than I had planned (more in a minute), I saw one of my terrorist ant's siblings. I decided to take a picture and capture it. (Very carefully, I might add. Those suckers hurt.) I may have exaggerated slightly about his size, but it is very big. I think the one I caught is about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch. That is one big ant. Also notice the size of the pinchers on the front of it's head. I can't wait to find out what kind of insect this ant is. Sorry the second picture is blurry, but look and see the open pinchers.



I had quite an adventure this morning. It all happened before I got home to save our house from the killer ants. I decided to go on a walk with Brenna and take Annie this morning. I got everyone ready and out the door only to notice that the tire on Brenna's stroller was flat. (We seem to be having trouble with our tires: cars, strollers. What is next?) So, I pumped it up feeling very grateful for our handy air compressor again. Meanwhile, Annie was sneaking down the driveway until my two year old reprimanded her and I realized what was happening. Annie was tied up for the rest of the pumping.

Once the tires were filled, we took off at a brisk walk. We are really quite a sight. I am pushing a big stroller, Brenna is looking around to find Annie, and Annie is trying to decide to listen to me or choke herself to an early death by pulling us all.
I was watching the tire for a few minutes to make sure it looked like it was holding it's air. It seemed fine so I continued along. About 1/4 a mile down the road, I began to notice a funny noise that wasn't coming from me, Brenna, or Annie. I looked down and that darn tire was flat again. So, Annie, Brenna and I turned around and headed the 1/4 mile back home. The distance wouldn't have been so bad, but I had to basically carry the stroller with Brenna seated in it, and fight a dog who thinks she is in control the whole way home. Do you think anyone saw us? I hope not.

2 comments:

keyofdjonz said...

sorry about the tire. now about the ants, you texans always say everything is bigger in texas ; )

Krischa said...

You just have to laugh at those moments of utter bewilderment! Funny funny!