Friday, October 10, 2008

Potty Training update

I am officially calling Brenna "Daytime Potty Trained" now. She has very few accidents and often tells me when she needs to go potty. I can't tell you how exciting and sad it is all at the same time. Potty training can be such a difficult time for everyone, and I was really dreading it. Fortunately, God blessed me and let Brenna be relatively easy. Now, I'm not saying there were never days I wanted to go back to diapers, but for the most part, she was easy. I can only hope that the next child will be as easy. The sadness only comes because my little girl is growing up so fast.

Brenna does one thing on the potty that just cracks me up. She can't just sit on the potty to poop. She has to be playing with something. True to her father's form, often she reads one of her many "Blue Bug" books. We have them strategically sitting next to the toilet for her reading pleasure. Most recent she has a love for her doll house "grandma", "puppy", and a toy (from the kids meal at Wendy's) she calls "yellow spider". She has been making them interact in all sorts of ways. Sometimes she will want to sit on the potty for up to 20 minutes just playing. I wonder if this trait is inherited. It just sounds so familiar. Sorry, Honey. To Daddy's credit, he doesn't normally play with Brenna's toys.

She cracks herself up, which in turn, cracks me up. Notice the book used as a board. We one too many toys fall in. I decided it would be better to have some sort of "table barrier".

Recently she has been asking for two things when it is time to play. She either wants to play outside in the front or backyard, or she wants to swing. She is quite humorous playing in the front yard as she "plays" her "violin". Daddy has been teaching her about music and she is taking it to heart. She has a stick and she moves it across her body as you would a violin bow. Every time we step out on the front porch she starts looking for her "violin". We have spent many an hour playing with it on our front porch. I love being able to watch her imagination develop.


She also loves being able to swing in the "big girl" swings. She still has to have a lot of help, but she loves being on them. Most of the time she wants me to swing with her. There were several arguments between us until I figured out she wanted me to swing on a different swing beside her, not the same one with her on my lap. Let me just stop to say I'm glad I figured that one out. She wanted to swing "by herself". We are hearing those words a lot around the Jones house now too.

This one just makes me laugh. She must have found something quite funny. I'm glad she didn't fall off. She is not very coordinated yet.

I also love the concentration she gives to swinging. It is a new skill she is learning. Sometimes she just has to think hard to stay on.

1 comment:

keyofdjonz said...

she is growing so fast. we noticed how bathroom time was a time to play and read. i just sat on the floor and handed her avon books! she would look at the books and then look at me and say, "it's amazing!" cracked me up everytime : )

the pictures are beautiful.