Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hurricane Ike

I had forgotten what is was like to watch a hurricane approaching. I lived in Houston for 15 years of my life, but I was young. From afar, I watched hurricanes as they approached my family. Now I am reminded what life is like in South Texas and only an hour from the coast. Ike looks as if it is headed straight for us. There are steps you take to prepare for a hurricane. I had forgotten those steps until today. Unfortunately now I am left to prepare and pack all tomorrow. I am not looking forward to tomorrow. I am feeling a wee bit overwhelmed and anxious.

So, tomorrow I am going to Walmart. Let's see, that makes one Walmart trip everyday this week. I have to get something for Nathan to eat if the power goes off. I also have to get some water for him to drink in case the water goes out. There really is nothing good about a hurricane. I am really hoping that everyone in KC has not already been to Walmart to buy all the water and bread.

Then there is still my packing to do. I have to pack Brenna and I separately because she is going to Nonni and G-Daddy's house first then coming to Athens. I have to make sure she has everything she needs. I also have to pack all that I need for several projects. I wonder if I will ever learn the art of packing lightly. I don't think so. I have tried very hard and still fall very short. Far worse, I will probably even teach Brenna to pack more than you can ever possibly need for one week in a house with a washer and dryer and stores nearby. Again with the woes of packing.

And my last woeful packing story. What do I pack us to wear? I looked it up and Athens won't be seeing triple digits next week, nor will nights only make it as low as the upper 70s. I will feel like it is downright cold coming from the "fires" of South Texas. And poor Brenna will be in the Georgia mountains were I'm sure the nighttime temps will require the equivalent of our Texas winter clothes. I am just full of one woe after another. What ever shall I do?

1 comment:

kjonz29 said...

Don't worry about cold in the GA Mtns. It's only down into the 70s and maybe, maybe the upper 60s at night, and we won't be out at night. Love, G-Daddy