Friday, December 5, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year


First let me say that I am completely procrastinating on what I really need to be doing right now. I still don't have a talk written for Sunday night, but I did figure out what my topic will be. So, I decided to reward myself with a little blogging. I was also smelling the wonderful scent of our Christmas tree mixed with the scent of a newly baked loaf of bread and couldn't resist sharing them both with everyone. I did bake a wonderful loaf of bread. Did you notice all the grainy texture in it. Grainy textured bread is one of my favorite things. I even waited on lunch just so I could have fresh piece. Mmm.

I do love Christmas time. This year I am constantly being reminded the real meaning of Christmas. Maybe it is because I am teaching Brenna more this year than she has learned in past ones or maybe I am just more reflective this year than past ones. Either way, I am thinking a lot about Jesus and his birth. Oh, you will still hear your fair share of Santa Clause in our house, but we are also talking a lot about Jesus' birthday.

Nathan, Brenna, and I haven't really formed any formal traditions yet because this is really the first year Brenna has actively participated in Christmas. On Tuesday night, we went to Walmart and Brenna helped pick out the tree. Then last night we all decorated it together. Decorating was even more fun as I watched the amazement and wonder surface on my daughter's face.


Pepere and Oma, you might recognize these some of the next few ornaments. The beads were part of the decoration on the bag that they used to wrap this years ornament. Brenna wanted to put them on the tree. They were the first she ever hung.

Here are a few more of our favorites. They all have special memories.

This one looks ordinary, but is from our honeymoon.

Brenna was particularly fond of this one. Thanks Nena.

We all got ornaments at the Christmas concert this year. Nathan had all the singers and band members sign ours. It is a new favorite.

This is a representative of many that Oma and Pepere have given us. This was in box full of ornaments that we got the first Christmas we were married. Each year they send us a new beautiful ornament. This years said "Let it Snow". I couldn't help but see the irony of that one.

Mom has been making us ornaments every year since we were married. They are beautiful and treasured, but none of the picture I took of those turned out very good. I'll have to try again on those.

Now you have had a glimpse of our tree. Here is one last of Brenna admiring our work last night before she went to bed.

No comments: