Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lessons of parenting

Parenting has taught me many lessons about myself and my relationship with Christ. Yesterday, I was taking the puppy outside but didn't realize Brenna wanted to come too. Sophie finished outside before Brenna had a chance to get out there with us. As we were coming inside she was screaming at me because she was so frusterated and mad that she wasn't getting her way. I tried to explain that she could go next time and that it was a quick trip, but she wouldn't listen. She screamed at me so loud that I'm sure the neighbors could have heard. She has been told that she can't talk to mom like that so she was disciplined for her actions.

Later we were talking about why she got in trouble. I was sure to explain that it is okay to get mad a Mommy but it is not okay to yell at me like that. She needs to use her words and tell me why she is mad. I gave her an example and we went on to the next subject. I hope she learned that she can be angry when she doesn't get her way, but she can't be disrespectful or disobedient. Big lesson for a little girl.

Big lesson for a big girl. How often do I throw my hands in the air and scream at God with my actions when I am angry and don't get my way? I throw my own adult style temper tantrum. Not the appropriate reaction. It is okay for me to be angry and tell God what I am feeling, but it is not okay for me to disobey or become hard and disrespectful. I wonder if I will ever learn this lesson. Anger has always been an issue with me. I deal with it better today than last year or the years before, but it is still a struggle. I hope that one day I will really know and believe that God is big enough to hold my anger and other emotions. He made me an emotional being and doesn't want me to hide my feelings from him or myself. I cheat both of us when I do that.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

very good post, good lessons to be learned. thanks for sharing. by the way VERY GOOD BREAD. i kept a bag so we could do it again!

keyofdjonz said...

that is a good lesson for all....

William K. Neal said...

Every time I think I'm grown up... I have a run in with turkey meat, or something like that ;-)