Monday, August 24, 2009

My life flashing before my eyes

Sometime in high school, I started collecting Disney movies. I wanted to have them so that my children could watch the movies I grew up watching. I never imagined what fun it would be to watch all those movies with my child one day. For the past few months, I have been introducing some of my favorite Disney movies with Brenna: Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladin, and Little Mermaid. I don't think it is the princess aspect that she loves so much. Maybe that will come one day. She is loving the music and all the animals. Well, that isn't completely true. She has been known to put on her dress up close and come through the house looking for Nathan. "I'm the princess and your the Prince. Don't be late for the wedding." I wonder how she knows that he has a tendency to be late for things?

Lately her favorite movie has been "The Little Mermaid" and she asks to watch it all the time. I loved that movie. I remember watching it in front of our TV upstairs while studying for finals my Sophomore or Junior year in high school. Nathan laughs at me as I recall almost all the words and can sing them back for Brenna when she asks. Brenna has taken to singing Ariel's song all day. It is most humorous when she is lying in bed. Normally she starts singing when she firsts wakes up in the morning or from her nap. I guess that is one way for her to let me know she's up.

I am glad I saved all those movies for Brenna, but I wish they had already made DVDs back then. Many of my VHS movies simply don't work anymore. The quality on all of them is very poor although Brenna doesn't seem to mind that. I guess I shouldn't have worked so hard to save all those VHS tapes. Now I am on a mission to replace them with DVDs. I hope you enjoy the video. You now have a glimpse from my past.



Look at that hand and eye action. She's ready for broadway, baby.

2 comments:

Gabi said...

Such a funny post, Kayla. I have all the movies from when I was growing up, too. In fact, Ben just discovered my VHS cabinet and is CAPTIVATED by it. It is hilarious to see how poorly they play compared to all the DVD/HD technology. I've started replacing them with DVD's a little at a time. I have been able to find them on Ebay, Amazon, or half.com new to slightly used for $7 - $12 a piece. I decided to replace one a month based on what I find and which ones Ben is most interested in at the moment. So far, we've gotten Tarzan, Aladin, and the LITTLE MERMAID :) (Then, my mom usually gets him whichever ones Disney re-releases from the vault for Christmas, birthday or Easter. We've recently got the new editions of Pinnochio and the Jungle Book.) Anyway - check ebay and half... a year or two from now and you can have the entire collection replaced in DVD!

keyofdjonz said...

i love disney movies. the boys also grew up watching them. my favorite is sleeping beauty. i asked keith for it for christmas, lol.

i love the way brenna adds the expression to the songs! it's nice to know the music genes are still going strong : )