Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Kitchen Gadgets

I wouldn't describe myself as a "gadget" person in general, but I have always loved gadgets that pertain to the kitchen. I am gaining even more of a love for them. Unfortunately, I don't have a very big kitchen or much storage space. Luckily my new favorite gadgets don't take up too much space. I thought I would share them with you. If you are crazy about kitchen gadgets too, you should try these. I just love them.

So, coming in at number four is my ricer. At least that is what I think it is called. This little gadget makes perfect mashed potatoes. I also recently learned that it makes perfect guacamole. Anything that needs to be mashed comes out so smooth and even. I love it. The only complaint comes from Nathan. He hates to clean it; although, I believe it could be washed in a dishwasher if we had one. My solution... I just wash it for him when I use it. I love the results too much to begrudge the ricer of it's cleaning.


Number 3: Nathan's new panini grill. Anyone who likes grilled sandwiches should have one of these. They are quick and easy to use. Again, the clean up is not easy, but well worth the trouble. I have used this gadget almost everyday this week. Unfortunately this gadget is a little bigger in size, but I found a storage area on a shelf of our island. I do love a good sandwich. I need to try it with some of my homemade bread. By the way that is another gadget that I love but didn't make this list. A bread maker. Everyone should have one of those too.



Number 2: I love this new little toy for the kitchen. It is a pineapple slicer. It is very easy to use and clean. The hardest part is centering the core into the gadget. All you have to do is turn the slicer around in circles and the result is perfectly sliced, peeled, and cored pineapples. I do love some fresh pineapples. I may have to go buy one soon.


Drum roll please. And now, for the number one gadget of "Kayla's kitchen gadget of the week list"....
The coffee frother. Again, not sure if that is really what it is called.

I love this new toy. It makes the perfect froth for coffee. I have it down to a science. I make at least 2 cups a day now. Not sure if this is a good habit, but at least the coffee is decaf. So here is my recipe. I make a good coffee and add a little cinnamon to the beans, then let the coffee pot do it's job. When the coffee is almost done dripping I put the liquid creamer in a glass measuring cup and microwave it for about 25 seconds. (I use french vanilla cream. Yummy sweetness!) The cream should be very warm. Next I use my little gadget to swirl the cream around very fast making the fluffy froth. (Try saying those two words ten times. Bet you can't.)

When the coffee is done I fill my glass 2/3 full and add sugar or splenda to the coffee. Lastly, I pour the froth and remaining cream into the coffee and stir. Doesn't it look just heavenly!


Now that you have "Kayla's favorite kitchen gadget list of the week" what will you do? May I suggest trying one for yourself. Also, feel free to let me know if there are other gadgets that I "need".

4 comments:

Gabi said...

I just discovered the wonder that is the cherry pitter and my world will never be the same again :)

Also - I saw someone on TV peeling kiwi's with a potato peeler - BRILLIANT!

Kayla said...

That sounds great. I want one of those too now.

Stephanie said...

No doubt about it, the best kitchen gadget is my jar opener. It looks like a can opener only it has about three concentric circles with grippy metal teeth. It opens everything, even a bottle of soda if you closed it too tight. No more getting frustrated trying to open it yourself while causing extreme red marks on your hands.

keyofdjonz said...

i love my panini maker! the other thing for the kitchen, cooking wise, is my rice cooker. it makes perfect rice. i put the rice, water and any seasonings i want in it, turn it on and leave it. when everything is ready the rice is cooked : )