Friday, June 12, 2009

Ode to Mr. and Mrs. Bird

Oh, my little friends, how glad I am that you have returned to my porch this year. You flew south for the winter, but are back now. Oh wait, we are south. Where did you go? No matter. You are back now.

I love to see you sitting on the phone wire close to the porch. You guard your home so faithfully. You are hard workers and you work together to build the "Best Nest". And it is a lovely nest. I can't believe that a week ago it was only a shadow of what it is today.

I am so happy to share my porch especially since you don't dive bomb me when I come outside. You only soar off to high branch of the tree in our yard. I am sorry that Annie barks at you. She really would love to come out and get you. You have my permission to dive bomb her if she ever gets out. Only, try to just scare her. I wouldn't want her to get hurt. She too is just trying to protect her territory.

I love to hear you sing through the day. You both have lovely voices. I would love to know what you are saying. Your tweets remind me to enjoy the simplicity in life.

Most of all I love to see you at night. The two of you must love spending time together. You settle in to watch over all of us as we sleep. You cuddle in your small space and look so "nice and cozy" (borrowing one of Brenna's favorite phrases). This calm time of the day is the only time you allow me to come close enough to capture a picture. I can't wait to see the little babies that can call my front porch home. I'm sure you will both make great parents.


I hope you don't leave too soon. And when you do leave. Please come back and make me smile again next summer.

1 comment: