Sunday, January 4, 2009

Narnia

Nathan and I watched "Prince Caspian" last night. It was good like the first movie. I have read all the books years ago, but I haven't read them lately. I didn't remember much from "Prince Caspian", and was surprised by many things in the movie. I was amazed by how well CS Lewis wrote the books. He wrote the gospel into the books so well that secular movie makers could make a movie portraying the message of the gospel solely by the picture Lewis painted with his words.

There was one scene in particular that has had me thinking. (If you haven't read or seen the movie yet, I might spoil a little in this paragraph, but the last paragraph is safe.) It was the scene where Caspian and Peter are fighting the image of the White Witch. They are both drawn her lies by the power of her words. They both falter without help. Edmond sneaks behind the wall entangling the witch. Remember in the previous movie, Edmond already fell prey to her lies. He wasn't willing to go there again. He stabbed the wall with his sword and the wall with the witch fell. We are left with Peter's view of the crumbled wall with empty promises and an image of Aslan, the king of all.

I was stunned by this simple image of the gospel. How often do I allow lies to build a wall blocking my view of my God? Jesus has torn down the ultimate wall for me so that I can clearly see God, but when I believe new lies, often it is my close friends that God uses to help me shatter the walls. I serve a great God who allows me to see Him. He sent his son to die for me so that I can live, and He continues to guide me through each day. He has given me Godly friends and family who uplift me and help me more often than I thank them. I am truly blessed.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

How funny...we watched Prince Caspian last night too! Get married on the same day, both watch Narnia on the same day. What next?