Wednesday, March 24, 2010

On parenting a four year old

Well, almost four year old. I can't believe she is almost four. I know, I know, all parents say that about their children as they approach a birthday. Yet, it is so true. How can my little baby already be a... what? Is she still a toddler, or is she called something else now. The next thing I know we will be looking for clothes in the little girl section instead of the toddler section.

And back to the title, I'm not sure I really have any parenting tips. Most days, I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants. I'm not sure if I have ever prayed more diligently for anything. Parenting is hard, exhausting, intimidating, infuriating, irritating, and confusing to name a few adjectives. And yet, it is also fulfilling, joyous, exhilarating, laughable, fun, and purposeful. It is one of those things in life that can be two completely different things at the same time.

As Brenna quickly approaches four, I am amazed by how many choice she has to make. Some are so hard, and it is hard for me, the parent, to teach her how to make good choices without crushing her free spirit. I am trying to teach her an obedient spirit and happy heart, while I learn it myself daily. Isn't that the way parenting goes.

We had a good week for the most part. We have spent a lot of time outside. The weather was beautiful most days. We didn't make it to the park during the week, but she and Daddy went to the this afternoon. She had a great time with Daddy and was glad to go with him. We were also able to go take some bluebonnet pictures yesterday. I'll leave you with the most recent pictures.


Jump rope still needs a little practice.



Brenna making a big mess in the dirt.


She was so excited to wear her princess dress in the flowers.


4 comments:

Gabi said...

Her hair is getting so long - I love the pictures! She definitely looked like a princess!

Amy said...

Yep, I'd say it safe to stop giving her baby tylenol. Cute pictures. Wish the bluebonnets where out when I were there.

Kelly said...

Great bluebonnet pictures! She is such a pretty little girl! I totally agree with all those adjectives about parenting. It's hard! When we pray for wisdom we are promised to receive it! Take one day at a time. Can't wait to hear more about yalls new house. I know you will love it! And I'm so glad Annie is getting better. Saw the pics..YUCK. Poor puppy!!

Unknown said...

Loved the pictures of your little princess.
Work From Home India