Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas


Brenna and I have been baking this week. On the first day, we opened one of the "before Christmas" gifts that Oma and Pepere sent. She pulled out a Christmas apron, chef hat and oven mitts. She soon noticed my apron and oven mitts and asked where my hat was. I had to explain that Mommy didn't have a cute hat like she did. Can you guess her next question? If you guessed "Why not?" you are correct.



She also opened a box set of pre-baked gingerbread men to decorate. That was fun activity that lasted until lunch. Not sure if the cookies or Brenna's tummy got more of the decorations.



Then yesterday, I picked up the tradition that Mom set for our family. I decided to take on the mammoth task of baking five batches of Dilly Bread. I only had one mishaps. Our house is so cold even with the heat that bread won't rise. My solution? Leave the oven on all day and place the covered dough on top of the hot oven. Thank goodness that worked. The bread tasted and smelled as good as I always remembered it tasting. I do love Dilly Bread fresh out of the oven.

And why only bake one type of food when you could bake bread, cupcakes, and cake balls. It was a crazy day. Brenna got to watch TV all morning. Great morning for her. She did help with the cupcakes. Although she had to wash her hands a total of five times. She really had a hard time with not licking her fingers then picking up the sprinkles again. It was very funny, and I'm not sure it has ever taken me so long to ice and sprinkle 24 cupcakes.



As for the week before Christmas, Nathan is done with school on Friday. His break begins Monday with a few dentist appointments. Poor Nathan, but they do need to get done. I plan to spend lots of time with Nathan in the next two weeks. Brenna and I have really missed him in the last few busy months. We are all looking forward to Christmas morning with an almost 4 year old. I still have a few things to finish up, but I am almost done with all my preparations. I am looking forward to the joy of the next few weeks.

No comments: